The Government recently published Ireland’s Fifth Nitrates Action Programme. Ireland’s Nitrate Action Programme is given effect by the European Communities (Good Agricultural Practice for Protection of Waters) Regulations 2022 (S.I. No. 113 of 2022). The regulations contain specific measures to protect surface waters and groundwater from nutrient pollution arising from agricultural sources.
Ireland’s first Nitrates Action Programme came into operation in 2006. Giving effect to the Nitrates Directive and supported by successive national regulations, the Nitrates Action Programme is designed to prevent pollution of waters from agricultural sources and protect water quality.
There have been a number of measures added to the Programme since the Fourth Nitrates Action Programme and include the following:
- Register of Chemical Fertiliser Sales
- Improving Compliance and Enforcement
- Slurry and Soil Water Storage and Management
- Livestock Excretion Rates
- Chemical Fertiliser Control
- Sewage/Industrial Sludges
- P Build-Up
- Green Cover on Tillage Ground
- Crude Protein in Concentrate Feeds
- Organic Matter Determination
- Soil Tests
- Grazing Land Management
- Low Emission Slurry Spreading
Further Information here.
Image Credit: NRN