The Minister of State at the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine, Senator Pippa Hackett, has launched ‘Growing Organics’. This 5-year programme developed by Teagasc and the Department’s Organic Division will provide ongoing support for the organic farming sector and is focused on increasing organic production.
The ‘Growing Organics’ Programme is led by Teagasc, and will promote the adoption of best practice at farm level – increasing the future viability and sustainability of the Irish organic sector. Organic demonstration farms have been selected throughout the country to illustrate best practice and monitor key financial and environmental metrics.
The programme will focus on a number of key objectives:
- increase the adoption of best practices, especially in relation to grassland management and livestock health;
- monitor the environmental footprint of organic production;
- establish a cohort of profitable organic producers;
- create greater integration within the organic sector; and
- support the sector reaching 10% of land area farmed organically by 2030.
For more details on the programme view here.